[OSGeo-Conf] Fwd: FOSS4G North America 2013

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:30:21 PDT 2012

On 8/08/2012 4:11 AM, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> On 12-08-06 4:35 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>> Daniel,
>> Any progress on YTD information?
>>

> Hi Cameron,
>
> I posted a Google Spreadsheet with bugdet/finances YTD info as of
> 2012-07-31 to the board list a few minutes ago. Here is a copy of the
> link:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av9Xf1ehZXz-dG5zYnVmSnJRWk5yTExDYmtpTTFSNXc
>

> I'd like to have it officially discussed and approved at the next
> board meeting as our updated budget for the rest of the year, but in
> the meantime it should give you a very good idea of the situation.
>
> If you have any question on this document, please ask them in the
> related thread on the board list so that we have the whole discussion
> in one place.
>
> Thanks
>
> Daniel
> OSGeo Treasurer

Based upon Daniel's YTD figures presented, I change my vote to a +1 for
OSGeo to provide a financial backstop to FOSS4G-NA 2013.

In providing this financial support, I believe that OSGeo conference
committee should request evidence that the conference is on track to
meet expected attendance numbers. In particular, I think that this
should occur at the end of Early Bird registration, which is when you
are likely to have the best indication of final attendance, and also
early enough to pull out without major loss of money.

During FOSS4G 2009, we provided exactly this feedback to the board,
although we sent it privately rather than publicly, noting that there is
much to say about a conference being successful because the LOC
committee are so convincing about saying it is going to be successful.
(We noted that we only received half the number of attendees that we had
expected, and noted that it was possible that the conference would wear
a $60K loss. In the end we made a moderate profit, but we only moved
back into the black in the last week.)

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager