[OSGeo-Conf] Analysing the downfall of FOSS4G 2011

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Aug 14 11:46:25 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM, Jachym Cepicky
<jachym.cepicky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Responsibility lies from my point of view fully on Beijing team, due to
> very liberal way, how FOSS4G is organized. Conference committee "could
> have done" some kind of support, but why would they do that, when things
> were working till now? I personally like the way, things are organized.
> Organization of the global FOSS4G in this year failed, but this could
> happen any time before and can happen any time in the future - such
> things simply happen. We've learned lesson from that (big thanks to
> Cameron for great summary).

Folks,

I agree with Jachym that it is still desirable to give the local
organizers quite a bit of freedom and that we should accept that
occasional failure is not a disaster.  I love Cameron's review, and I
think the main lesson is that we ought to have dealt with the
situation at least a couple months sooner.

Best regards,