[OSGeo-Conf] Re: FOSS4G-CEE 2012: Workshop vs. Tutorials

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Fri May 25 00:41:10 PDT 2012

Hi Robert,

if you don't mind, I'll answer your mail in english and redirect it to
conference_dev mailing list, the information could be useful to more people:

RN: What is the difference between workshop and tutorial?

We took this model from FOSS4G in Denver (at least there I saw it for
the first time). General speaking: workshop (for us) was standard
workshop, around 1.5 hours, with computers, and you may try hard, that
people are following your lesson as many and as far as possible. More
lectors in the room are welcomed. Workshops were organised, so that they
did not overlap with the main conference program (in our case, before
the conference).

Lesson learned here: OSGeo-Live is actually not so often used anymore
for workshops. It's  good start, but people are coming with their custom
distributions (even Windows). Only thing, the workshop computers need to
have is *Virtualbox*, internet and up to 4GB of RAM (2GB usually is
enough as well).

Tutorial was 1.5 hour (or less), during the main conference program
(from coffee break to coffee break). Their purpose would be described as
"longer presentation with practical impact". In my case: how to start
with pywps (with little introduction to WPS, installation, configuration
...). Generally speaking: some people would like to give a workshop, but
it's preparation might be too time consuming. Tutorial has from my point
of view ideal time/impact ratio. Disadvantage: you risk, that the
parallel program will be too interesting, that nobody will come for the
tutorial (I'm aware at least of one case at FOSS4G-CEE - pity).

RN: What was the price of worshop/tutorial?

We made the prises of workshops about according to FOSSGIS prises. So
about 100Eur/workshop. They were probably too high though. There were no
extra charges for the tutorial, since they were "part of the program".

RN: How long was Workshop/tutorial?

As said: workshop was about 1.5 hours or more, tutorial about 1.5 hours
or less. There was one workshop having 3 hours long. Depends more on the
rooms you have available, than on the lectors.

RN: Any other lessons learned?

I'll post them to some official wiki, when they come in my mind. Nothing
else yet, regarding workshop/tutorial topic.

Good luck with FOSSGIS (pity, I could not come last years). We should
start to talk about foss4g-europe, it's place between regional events
(like FOSSGIS, GFoss and others) and the global one.

Jachym

--
Jachym Cepicky
Help Service - Remote Sensing s.r.o.