[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G-EUROPE

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon May 28 05:36:47 PDT 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Jachym Cepicky
<jachym.cepicky at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the topics, which comes to my mind is the way, how global and
> "big-local" events would coexist together? Does it make sense to
> organise global FOSS4G every year then? What about making it every 2nd
> (3rd) year?

I agree.

> What about already existing "little-local" events (e.g.
> FOSSGIS, Geoinformatics, ...)? There is really only limited time during
> the year and limited number of people available for "conferencing". It
> would be great to find the way, how all three levels of "FOSS4G & co."
> would coexist together.

For example, the GFOSS.it event reaches 150 people, FOSSGIS.de
likewise (or more, since it is D-A-CH).

Suggestion: a hierarchical model:

- one global FOSS4G (every xth year)
- contentinental FOSS4G (every xth/2 year)
- national FOSS4G yearly

The contentinental FOSS4G could be shifted among each
other so that the global event goes into a continent not
covered by a contentinental one. Like this friction is
minimized and the offers remain widespread.

My 0.02 Eurocent,
Markus