[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] Getting the organization for 2014 settled

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Wed Aug 28 07:04:11 PDT 2013

On 2013/08/27 11:20 AM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> I came very close to recommending that after 2007, as our POC was very
> good and a good fit. The trouble is as an international conference,
> the familiarity with venue and processes diminishes wish distance. The
> 2007 POC could capably do any North American venue, but would probably
> have difficulty doing European ones.

I also was going to suggest the 2007 POC, Sea to Sky.

The FOSS4G conferences are already using a model that
combines (at least) two groups - the LOC and a POC.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile seeking the advice of
one or more of the past FOSS4G POCs with regards to the
feasibility (or lack thereof) of using a "three group"
model for future FOSS4G conferences:
- the LOC
- a POC that is used from year to year, regardless
   of the location of FOSS4G, and who provides a
   designated set of services to OSGeo/the LOC
- a person/company who provides "on the ground"
   support to the POC/LOC and who is local to the location
   of the FOSS4G event - this person/company could be
   a contractor hired by the POC, which might even
   include staff from a local conference organizer
   (i.e. the person/company would need to be experienced
   with conference organization as well as local venues)

--
Dave Patton
Victoria, B.C.

Degree Confluence Project: