[OSGeo-Conf] Conference software

Dave Patton dave at patton.org
Mon Sep 23 14:13:27 PDT 2013

On 2013/09/23 13:36, Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the german-speaking OSGeo local chapter D-A-CH announced that it
> plans to bid for hosting the FOSS4G 2016. Anyway, after years of
> running the annual FOSSGIS conference (about 400 delegates/year), we
> are unhappy with our software solution assisting our orga-team. Right
> now we are using a combination of pentabarf [1] (for managing paper
> ssubmission, review and planing of the program) and CiviCRM [2] on
> Drupal (for registration, billing and payment). This does not fit our
> needs and produces too much additional work to be done to fullfill
> our requirements. We found out that the german linux day, Linuxtag
> [3], is facing the similar problems. Our recent plans are, to enhance
> Frab [4] to fit our needs during the next years. May be it is also
> interesting for organising FOSS4G conferences and anybody wants to
> participate. Any commends welcome.
>
> Best regards - and thank you all for the great elapsed conference in
> Nottingham
>
> Marco FOSSGIS e.V. / OSGeo lc D-A-CH
>
> [1] http://pentabarf.org [2] http://civicrm.org/ [3]
> http://www.linuxtag.org [4] http://frab.github.io/frab

Have your local chapter considered the Public Knowledge Project [5]
Open Conference Systems software (OCS)? [6]

There is an OSGeo wiki page that proposes OCS be used for the
annual FOSS4G conferences [7] and it was used for FOSS4G2008. [8][9]
There is an (now outdated) OCS instance hosted by OSGeo. [10]

[5] http://pkp.sfu.ca/
[6] http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs/
[7] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OCS_Use
[8] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2008_Site_Upgrade