[OSGeo-Conf] Application for FOSS4G 2016 in Bonn/Germany - Letter of Intent

Till Adams till.adams at fossgis.de
Tue Dec 16 08:04:38 PST 2014

Dear FOSS4G conference committee,

the FOSSGIS e.V., in its role as german speaking chapter of the Open
Source Geospatial Foundation, in partnership with the UN City of Bonn,
the University of Bonn and numerous Open Source GIS companies located in
Bonn hereby want to submit their proposal to host the FOSS4G conference
for 2016 in Bonn, Germany.

We know, that FOSS4G is *the* geospatial event of the year, especially
in 2016 when OsGeo itself commits its 10th birthday!

Please allow us some words about us, the FOSSGIS e.V., which takes the
lead in the application for FOSS4G2016 in Bonn.

The FOSSGIS e.V. (a german "Verein", and therefore a legal non-profit
entity comparable to a member association) is the german speaking
chapter for the so-called "D-A-CH-Raum" including Germany, Austria and
the German speaking parts of Switzerland. FOSSGIS currently is supported
by almost 200 paying associated members. The main focus of the FOSSGIS
association is to advance and spread Free and Open Source Software in
GIS, support the growth of free and open data and promote the use open
standards. The precursor of the FOSSGIS is the "GRASS
Anwendervereinigung" which was founded in 2001 actually predating OSGeo
and even FOSS4G by a few years. :-)

Additionally to most other OSGeo local chapters, FOSSGIS has a strong
focal point on the german speaking OpenStreetMap community as well,
acting as the legal entity for OSM in Germany in many cases.

Our main yearly event is the FOSSGIS conference. It started as a „German
speaking UMN MapServer user conference“ in 2003. Events in the past
years saw at least 400 attendees, this year in Berlin we reached 560.
Although only in German language FOSSGIS nowadays also attracts visitors
from other local OSGeo folks, especially from our adjacent countries,
e.g. members of the Dutch, Belgian, Czech, Italian and Danish local
chapters.

FOSSGIS e.V. directly supports OpenSource communities by sponsoring Code
Sprints and runs events focusing on connecting communities and
development groups. Every year FOSSGIS organizes a hacking weekend to
further the goals of the association.

Three years ago FOSSGIS e.V. hired Katja Haferkorn as a part time
employee to coordinate the FOSSGIS conference, manage sponsors and act
as a general contact for all those jobs that lack volunteer enthusiasm
but are still required to get done. Katja, with her longtime experience
in conference organization, will obviously be a central part of the
local intelligence as well.

Please find attached our letter of intent.

Best regards, Marco, Arnulf and Till