[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] FOSS4G Discount for Charter Members proposal

Andrew Ross andrew.ross at eclipse.org
Sun Sep 7 10:37:04 PDT 2014

Hey Cameron,

I may be wrong in thinking so, but it seems like conflating hosting of
FOSS4G with a comparison of OSGeo & LocationTech may make the discussion
more complicated and confusing. It seems off-topic least in this forum,
which focuses on conferences.

It's an interesting topic and I'm very happy discussing of course.

As a brief comment here, it seems to me the concern a group of people
have about LocationTech is the explicit influence of member companies.
For what it's worth, member companies like this. ;-)

The thing is, that influence is balanced by explicit requirement for
committer representation. If it isn't obvious, it's also designed to
explicitly balance the interests of large & small companies. Helping
projects, the user community, & adopting companies relate and
collaborate together is the reason the group exists so this just makes
sense. LocationTech has guest membership today to reach beyond to
others. I could easily see it evolving to add explicit user community &
academic representation if that helped people feel more comfortable.
Would that be desirable?

Kind regards,

Andrew