[OSGeo-Conf] Question Period: Workshops

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 11:55:02 PST 2015

I'm starting to move away from questions to suggestions.
It is possible to run workshops under a "bring your own laptop" model.
We have had reports of people doing this using OSGeo-Live USBs and VMs.
(Mac users using VMs).

Pros:

* It reduces setup requirements
* It reduces cost of labs and requirements for having lots of computers
* It reduces need to locate labs, which are often at a different
location to conference venue

Cons:

* You are tied to an OSGeo-Live distribution (or you face a time
consuming task of creating your own distribution)
* Some users might not be technically savvy enough to set up their
computer. (This can be mitigated by encouraging students to pair up).
* Some of your workshop time will need to be spend explaining how to
start a VM / OSGeo-Live.

On 1/03/2015 5:30 am, Steven Feldman wrote:
> Adding to Paul’s comments on workshops - one of our biggest strains in
> 2013 were the workshops and we had a whole load of university labs
> decked out with pretty high spec machines at next to no cost. Try to
> get clarity on your workshop tech as early as you can and allow for
> the possibility that it will be more costly and take much more time
> than you expect
>
> And if you can publish your specs with the call for workshops so that
> workshop owners plan around your hardware not vice versa
>
> Advice from painful experience
> ______
> Steven
>

>> On 25 Feb 2015, at 13:35, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
>> <mailto:pramsey at cleverelephant.ca>> wrote:
>>
>> Workshops are notable for the strain they place on organizers since
>> the number of moving parts that must be coordinated can be
>> considerable: donated labs are cheap, but lab staff are difficult to
>> work with unless you have a committee member who has a strong
>> relationship w/ them; rented (self-built) labs are more flexible for
>> setup but more expensive naturally. It only takes one technical snafu
>> to shutdown a whole session (as I too nearly experienced in Portland).
>>
>> Bonn, you seem to have a good handle on what your workshop rooms are
>> (at least, you have room counts and a plan for how many workshops to
>> offer), but it’s not clear to me if we’re talking University labs or
>> conference center rooms. If you’re filling conference center rooms
>> with machines, are the machine rentals in budget? If you’re using
>> labs, do you have a committee member with strong connections to the
>> lab management?
>>
>> Dublin, you seem more free-form on your workshops plan. You have lots
>> of options but haven’t settled on any of them. Can you describe your
>> top one or two prospects and the plusses/minusses of them?
>>
>> Both, do you have a committee member already identified who will make
>> workshops their only priority? It takes a certain monomania.
>>
>> ATB,

>> --
>> Paul Ramsey
>> http://cleverelephant.ca <http://cleverelephant.ca/>