[OSGeo-Conf] [FOSS4G 2016] / upcoming FOSS4G - do we want a travel grant budget / student award

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Tue Jan 26 07:01:11 PST 2016

Hi Conference Committee,

long time no real news from Bonn, but in short: Up to now preparation
of FOSs4G is running quiet well, we just released our Call for
Submissions as you might (should) have noticed.
Anyhow, there are some ideas we have that are quite interesting for all
FOSs4G's in the future and therefore I take the opportunity to discuss
with you.

1. Travel Grants
Seouls team (Sanghee, correct me if I am wrong) set up a travel grant
budget, AFAIK he took 10k $ from his budget and also enabled attendees
to make a donation for the travel grant budget.
People from developing countries then were encouraged to apply for such
a travel grant and Seoul LOC paid for a number of them for travel costs
and also gave these people a free/reduced ticket. They used world banks
country rating to forgive these grants, which is a good, because widely
as independent accepted, way to decide on that.

In general I really like the idea of enabling people from developing
countries to attend a FOSS4G. I think especially in developing countries
Open Source could be a key technology to really improve situations there
and keep knowledge and with that also money inside the country.

On the other side, we, Bonn's LOC, now have the same problem all former
and upcoming LOC's had/will have: First you see all the costs, that come
up and although we are in a good hope, that FOSS4G 2016 in Bonn will
become a great success, we don't know, what really happens. Taking both
things into account, I'd like to apply at OSGeo board for the following:

I'd like OSGeo to set up a fixed budget for travel grants for a FOSS4G.
If (our) FOSS4G becomes a success, OSGeo will get this money back
anyhow, because Bonn's LOC agreed to give at least 90% of our surplus to
OSgeo. If we make a loss, the money from OSGeo is gone and doesn't
enhance our financial desaster ;-). The other way around would be, that
we decide on having that (like Sould team did) on our risk, but the
money for OSGeo is lost anyhow, because at the end of the day, the money
comes out of OSGeo pocket anyhow. So why not taking the opportunity to
make that a fixed part for all FOSS4G-conferences?

Just FYI: I will also apply for some more money at FOSSGIS (local
german speaking OSGeo chapter), which have the same goals as OSGeo.

2. Student Award
In Seoul also there has been a student award, or to be honest, they
were 4, 2 from OSGeo and 2 from LOC Seoul, respectively one for the best
student-poster and for the best student-presentation. The presence of
twoxtwo student awards caused a little confusion in my eyes. I think it
was around 500$ each award, directly given to the winners in the closing
session.
I know that it was a quiet spontaneous decision on how to decide on the
winners which was just made right during Seouls FOSS4G lunch-time ;-).
This also could become a now established and fixed part of a FOSS4G -
and hits also one of the main goals OSGeo has - to prosper education
with OSGeo software.

So here are my questions:
A) Would conference committee support us and upcoming teams by advising
the board to setup a fixed travel grant budget?
B) Same question for the student award?

Many thanks for your time ;-)

Till