[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

Venkatesh Raghavan venka.osgeo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 18:55:54 PDT 2016

Hi Steven and all,

My comments inline.

On 9/10/2016 12:07 AM, Steven Feldman wrote:
> Maria, Venka
>
> Cameron and Eli have already responded suggesting grant provision
> should be the responsibility of an OSGeo committee (new or existing)
> which I fully support. Similarly if we want an awards programme for
> students, women or any other group that should be run by a team
> outside of the LOC. We need to make life easier for LOCs not increase
> the workload on them by running grant and award programs or burden
> them by asking them to fund grants and concessions when finances are
> uncertain in the early stage of planning an event.

I agree to making things easier and simpler for the LoC.
As suggested earlier [1], the OSGeo Academic Track, OSGeo
Student Award can be handled by the Academic Committee Chair
with the help of the Academic Track Committee. This will
reduce the burden of the LoC.

For FOSS4G-2016 the travel grant were advanced by OSGeo
and this can be continued. Maybe better to have a separate
committee for selecting candidates for Travel Grants or
request the Academic Committee to kindly handle this task
too. I would again suggest that acceptance of presentation
(poster or oral) should be one of the criteria for being
eligible for Travel Grant support.

> I want to comment on some of the aspirations regarding prices for
> delegates and workshops (these comments apply principally to the NA
> and EU events).
>
> It is not possible to run a 3 day conference for up to 1000 people
> for $100/day unless we change the model substantially to find free
> venues and catering (there aren’t many, even universities tend to
> need to recover cost for such large events) and massively increase
> sponsorship. The economics of large events with multiple streams,
> catering, audio visual and heavy wifi requirements are different to
> smaller events.

Adopting a different model atleast when FOSS4G is organized by/in
low-income country is precisely what we should try and achieve.
Having a FOSS4G in a low-income country which is unaffordable
for participants in the region defeats the purpose, I think.

> Workshops can be run at $100/day (and $50/half day) but it is very
> tight with hire of space and equipment. There is more scope to get
> use of ‘computer labs’ donated.
>
> Even if we could make attendance at a FOSS4G free, the cost of
> travel, accommodation and subsistence would make attendance
> unaffordable for most from lower income countries.
>
> If we want to be inclusive of people from lower income countries we
> should focus on streaming the proceedings and encouraging regional
> communities to host small local events where people can meet and
> participate remotely in the main event.

The option of streaming the proceedings could be adopted when
FOSS4G is organized in high-income countries where internet
infrastructure tend to be better.

If/when FOSS4G is organized in low-income countries, the video
recording could be released after the conference. This may not
only encourage more participation form high-income countries
(who wish to see the presentation live and have f2f interaction
with users and developers) but also reduce the burden on LoC
to invest on broadband internet service for video streaming.

Best

Venka

> ______ Steven
>

>> On 9 Sep 2016, at 09:02, Polimi <maria.brovelli at polimi.it> wrote:
>>
>> Here my comments
>>

>>> I would suggest the following;
>>>
>>> 1) There was some comment on issue of too many people requesting
>>> for free conference passes. We need to clearly decide a guideline