[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

Venkatesh Raghavan venka.osgeo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 20:47:52 PDT 2016

Hi Cameron,

My comments inline.

On 9/9/2016 9:05 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Hi Venka,
>
> Thanks for suggesting specific ideas to implement.
>
> For this email thread, I'd like to focus on your suggestions related to
> financial expectations, so we can take it through to resolution. Namely,
> your item 5. Defining how profit should be returned to OSGeo.
>
> I suggest it is safer to define budget returned to OSGeo as a percentage
> of profit. As profit closely aligns with number of attendees, profit
> will be larger for larger events. Europe and US have historically
> attracted larger attendance than "Rest of World" and hence will return
> larger profit. As such, OSGeo should expect to earn less in "Rest of
> World" years.

Yes, I agree with above. However "Rest of the World" include only
low-income countries and not high-income countries like Australia,
Japan, Korea etc. FOSS4G Conferences in low-income countries may spend
less (lower venue and food costs) and also earn less compared to events
in Europe and North America.

> I thought the RFP defined an expected budget to be returned to OSGeo
> under conservative estimates, but I can't find reference to it. (Maybe
> someone else can point to it).
>
> For management of special interest programs and sponsorship, I suggest
> refer to the email thread "FOSS4G Simplicity" started by Eli Adam,
> suggesting the be coordinated outside of the FOSS4G LOC (Like the
> academic track).

I agree to making thinks easier and simpler coordinating Academic Track,
Awards, Travel Grants outside the LoC.

Best

Venka