[OSGeo-Conf] MOTION : Conference Committee - Updating Membership Policies and Process

David William Bitner bitner at dbspatial.com
Mon Sep 19 07:32:43 PDT 2016

In general for a consensus +1/-1 system, -1 is considered a veto. This is
why I chose to vote +0 to indicate that I do not fully approve but did not
want to stop the vote. By the consensus system, the two -1 votes should act
as vetos. This committee has typically used +1/-1 but on a much more
straight vote system, perhaps in the future to avoid confusion we should
not use the +1/-1 nomenclature if this is not our intended outcome, but
rather a more parliamentary yes/no so as to avoid confusion between the
intention of both systems.

If we run our votes in a consensus manner, I would support a quorum rule
for a vote as having an affirmative +0/+1 vote from greater than 50% of
members with no dissenting votes. Under a parliamentary system, it would
make more sense to have a quorum of 50% and a motion passing with a
majority of those *who voted* supporting the vote.

David William Bitner
dbSpatial LLC
612-424-9932