[OSGeo-Conf] Voting & commitment

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Sep 30 10:25:46 PDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Venkatesh Raghavan
<venka.osgeo at gmail.com> wrote:

> The way I look at the 25% quorum threshold, suggested by Eli,
> is that it is close to the "benevolent dictatorship"
> decision model. One of our projects in incubation
> was asked to retire since the lead developer proposed
> to adopt such a model for the project PSC.

25% quorum threshold and "benevolent dictatorship" have nearly nothing
in common.

In benevolent dictatorship 1 person can overrule a 90% majority.  This
is entirely anti-democratic.

In low (or no quorum), people can participate as it suits and
interests them.  If people are fine with the already voted stance,
then they don't need to throw in their +1.  If people are satisfied
with the motion going either way, they certainly don't need to add
their +0.  During contentious or interesting topics that also fit the
timing of activities in people's personal lives, then there is often
high participation.  While participation may range from 1%-100%, the
result is consensus or at least majority.  Majority to consensus is
entirely democratic.  People choosing to not vote is not a loss of
democracy.  The potential is there if people are so inclined.

Best regards, Eli