[OSGeo-Conf] Firenze Full Proposal

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Mon May 3 12:00:25 PDT 2021

Hi Mark,

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 11:03 AM Mark Iliffe <markiliffe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Luca,
>
> Thanks for your answers. I have no further questions - but I wish to urge
> that special attention is paid to ensure that all those that wish to
> participate in FOSS4G are given the opportunity to do so. Appreciate that
> there is a perceptible driver to be cost-efficient - however, for many
> delegates, a few euros here or there doesn't make much of a difference, but
> for those with not a lot, it is those euros that can transform everything.
> I would strongly urge that FOSS4G ticket prices are not a race to the
> bottom, instead are considered as a mechanism that can bring value to the
> entire OSGeo ecosystem. Your approach of leaning into the OSGeo to
> underwrite your FOSS4G is IMHO the correct one given our circumstances -
> but unless there is a necessity to raise money for OSGeo (which I don't
> think there is... at least not more than 'usual'), my counsel would be to
> reduce the potential profit back into OSGeo's coffers to invest within the
> community.

As you can see here,
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Finance_Operational_Notes#Annual_proportions_2007-2017,
from 2010-2017* OSGeo has been funded almost exclusively from FOSS4G.  The
cancelation of 2020 Calgary not only did not raise money in a "North
American" year, it also lost substantial money.  2021 Buenos Aires as an
"Other Regions" and virtual is a bit of a wildcard which we won't know the
financial results of until later.  FOSS4G LOCs often ask for ~$100,000
advances and sometimes there is more than one advance out at a time.

Steven's suggestion that the Conference Committee should seek guidance from
the OSGeo Treasurer and Board on the level of surplus that they are seeking
in 2022 is a good idea.  Are there other aspects of guidance that we're
looking for in those realms?

*Tracking OSGeo/FOSS4G finances 2018-present might be useful too.

Best regards, Eli