[OSGeo-Conf] Firenze Full Proposal

Luca Delucchi lucadeluge at gmail.com
Wed May 5 23:23:18 PDT 2021

On Mon, 3 May 2021 at 20:03, Mark Iliffe <markiliffe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Luca,

Dear Mark,

> Thanks for your answers. I have no further questions - but I wish to urge that special attention is paid to ensure that all those that wish to participate in FOSS4G are given the opportunity to do so. Appreciate that there is a perceptible driver to be cost-efficient - however, for many delegates, a few euros here or there doesn't make much of a difference, but for those with not a lot, it is those euros that can transform everything. I would strongly urge that FOSS4G ticket prices are not a race to the bottom, instead are considered as a mechanism that can bring value to the entire OSGeo ecosystem. Your approach of leaning into the OSGeo to underwrite your FOSS4G is IMHO the correct one given our circumstances - but unless there is a necessity to raise money for OSGeo (which I don't think there is... at least not more than 'usual'), my counsel would be to reduce the potential profit back into OSGeo's coffers to invest within the community.

I fully support this, I wrote a document shared with some members of
this committee and some of the board, now I share with all of you [0].
This is my idea, it can be improved and changed, it could be a
starting point for next call
However we are working to find a way to provide live streaming for all
the rooms but using the provider of the venue is really expensive, I
contacted CCC but it is difficult to get answers, I will try again.

[0] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wbCOD6ZXlEb38b2vcRAh_t_xqTmiboxgtOmcfw-Jy9E/edit?usp=sharing

--
ciao
Luca