[OSGeo-Conf] Poll: Change FOSS4G structure to have some continuity of organization and management

Till Adams till.adams at fossgis.de
Thu Feb 17 22:52:45 PST 2022

Dear Eli,

thanks for bringing this up and sorry for not replying earlier. In
general your thoughts are justified. It *is* a lot of work when
organizing a conference like FOSS4G, but it's also passion.

If you ask for my vote, I'd also prefer "option 2" because it is always
better to review the existing status than not to do this.

But, although you postproned a discussion to "later", I'd like to add
some thoughts:

1. I like the idea, that every conference is somehow "individual" -
individual, because new LOC's bring up new ideas, that may also become
part of future conferences.

2. Also I was really happy as chair of my LOC, that we were able to
realize our ideas, that might fit better to our region, than getting a
global stamp by outsiders

In the german speaking chapter (FOSSGIS), we do it slightly different
from OSGeo. There is the permanent conference committee (that is open to
everybody), that organizes the program and does all the financial issues
like ticketing and so on - in other words, everything, that is not
individual or need to be done locally. This committee is supported by a
person, that gets paid for organizing our events and that does this for
several years now. Then there is the LOC, that cares about the venue,
the social events and everything else, that can be located at site.

In general I like this idea, although I really appreciate, that at OSGeo
those who already did a conference and have the experience (because
experience is different than having an opinion) form the conference
committee. In times I joined the FOSSGIS-committee, it felt sometimes
more like a debating club ...

Just my 2 cents,

Till