[OSGeo-Conf] [OSGeo-Discuss] Poll: Change FOSS4G structure to have some continuity of organization and management

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Feb 25 06:25:54 PST 2022

Hi all,

It sounds like the committee is interested in looking at changing the
organizing structure of FOSS4G.  This is a complicated subject, do we want
to make a plan for how to approach this?  Maybe layout a process and
timeline with milestones?  Maybe have someone facilitate the process?  In
the past, some of these topics have been facilitated and distilled by
Cameron or other people which seemed to make it easier for the committee to
stay on track and function.

Many people have already suggested great ideas; listing different tasks
that could be completed by the LOC or institutionalized and centralized.  I
know from my experience on the LOC, I would prefer to spend my time
promoting the event locally, connecting with regional sponsors, promoting
the call for papers, arranging the program, making food and geography
guides to the local area, and guiding attendees to a feel of Portland than
negotiating venue and food contracts, securing insurance, and other such
things.  While these are all great ideas, I think it might be worth pausing
and deciding how we want to approach this process before delving into the
details where we might get lost.

Vasile just issued the extension to the RFP.  None of our work will be
rapid enough to change anything for LOCs bidding for that.  Should we pause
this discussion until after the LOI or conclusion of the RFP process to
keep focus on that and not create confusion of what the process will be?

Best regards, Eli