[Contractors] FOSS developer marketing benefit, only for developers...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 10 17:31:32 EST 2008

Marc Vloemans wrote:
> their approach could only work if their customer/audience is a developer
> him-/herself. Perhaps the discussion should take into account whom you
> try to target, in stead of only addresseing the 'how2'. FOSS-duscussions
> on the topic 'marketing' often seem to overlook that the majority of
> users has no inkling of the engine underneath the bonnet. Pehaps some
> market segmentation is helpful.
> I am curious if others will help broaden the discussion into a regular
> brainstorm on How2 market FOSS

Marc,

I thought we were trying to market ourselves (aka contractors)!

On the point of reaching developers vs. end users, I agree that different
steps can be helpful.

If "read to use" packages are provided to reasonably savvy end users, then
I think the same techniques that work for developers can work for users.
However, additional steps may be helpful to advertise the developers
involvement and availability for additional contracting.  Often high visibility
in documentation and on mailing lists is helpful in this regard.

However, this does not address the market of "end users who are unlikely to
troll the internet for your open source solution".  These must either be
reached by more conventional marketing mechanisms (booths at tradeshows,
cold calls, slightly-warm calls, etc), though ensuring that FOSS solutions
are in the trade media can also help to reach these clients.

For myself, it is rare for me to go searching for clients, and to try to
educated them on my skills and the utility of FOSS solutions for their
needs.  But more "hungry" contractors then me will likely have to do this.

Best regards,