[Contractors] FOSS developer marketing benefit, only for developers...

Robert Hollingsworth reh2 at prodigy.net
Mon Nov 10 14:14:03 EST 2008

Marc,

good point about the audience.  I guess if they see,
in my original wording, my "fingerprints" all over
the source code and documentation, they will have
had to BE THERE LOOKING AT IT, and many clients
will never venture into the source sites.

I would very much like to discuss FOSS marketing
on a regular basis.  (because I'm not very good at it)
For now, this list could be a reasonable place to do
it?

Several of my clients have been ones not likely to be
exploring the FOSS home sites.  I've found a couple
clients who are web developer companies that know
they need some mapping but know nothing about it.
I've found them casting about in the general geo
community sites or geo jobs sites.  I've also
suggested FOSS to clients for whom I've done
closed-source previously.  They are fairly attached
to the closed-source products but are attracted to
the FOSS cost model.

I'd like to perfect "pro-active" marketing, but have
never liked the "cold call" approach, and wonder if
that has a high success rate anyway.

Robert

 #yiv10905705 {font:10pt Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif;}
In response to the discussion bij Frank and Robert I would suggest that their approach could only work if their customer/audience is a developer him-/herself. Perhaps the discussion should take into account whom you try to target, in stead of only addresseing the 'how2'. FOSS-duscussions on the topic 'marketing' often seem to overlook that the majority of users has no inkling of the engine underneath the bonnet. Pehaps some market segmentation is helpful.
I am curious if others will help broaden the discussion into a regular brainstorm on How2 market FOSS