[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS data collection...

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Aug 1 00:14:37 PDT 2006

Sasa Ivetic wrote:
> Just thought I'd introduce myself briefly and add some thoughts of my
>  own.

Sasa,

Hi, nice to meet you.

> I've been following this thread since it started.  I work for David,
>  who got the ball rolling on this, and so far I love the amount of
> attention this has gotten!

Yup, me too.

> I've also added the Development Platforms heading on the Wiki page,
> so anyone who has more to add that is more than welcome to.

I've seen it, good idea. Thank you!

> Just a few thoughts of mine:
>
> - I agree with using SQLLite.  I've used it for past projects, and it
>  is very lightweight, extremely easy to use, and performs quite well.
>  It would work excellent on the client end.  It should also be easy
> to implement a synchronization with the server, which should be
> running a full-featured DB. I'm thinking mysql, to stay within the
> Open Source community as someone else suggested.

These are my thoughts too.

> - I think a fair bit of planning, and subdividing of this project is
> required before we begin any sort of actual coding.

Definitely, agreed.

> The project we're considering isn't necessarily huge, but the
> portability concerns make it more complex than most projects.

That's right and that's the main reason I'm trying to discuss it in
details to hear comments from all interested participants, users,
developers, anyone.

> - I just ran into something that might prove quite useful for us -
> wxWidgets.  It seems to be a GUI development toolkit, much like QT,
> etc. However, unlike most other GUIs, it is portable and made to look
>  native to the OS.  It can also be used from a variety of languages.
>  I don't have any experience with it, but someone who does could
> possibly comment on it.

Yes, I think this is a good toolkit to start UI development.
Though, first we need to analyse, design and implement core components,
whatever it means :-)))

> The other thing we need to think about is where we will host the
> code, and all the other docs/etc.  We could always host it on
> sourceforge, which is probably the most popular open source code
> repository (although I can't say I like the new interface, I prefer
> the old one). The benefit to hosting it at SF is that they provide
> CVS, which will be mandatory for a project of this magnitude,
> especially with so many people expressing interest in development

Honestly, I'd love to run this project as a part of OSGeo and host it on
the OSGeo portal but I understand that starting incubation process will
be possible after we release first stable version(s).

So, SF.net should be fine.

Another idea, may be it could be possible to host it on the
maptools.org, I don't know.

Nevertheless, I think we could put hosting considerations away for a
while, and focus on analysis and initial phase documentation writings on
the OSGeo Wiki.

What do you think?

Best regards
--