Mobile GPS - really low cost hardware platforms for this?

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Wed Aug 2 12:38:23 PDT 2006

Picking up on the thread of mobile GPS, I wonder about really low cost
hardware that can be pressed into service, that is light and portable?

Running an open/free operating system I should think.

What about something like this being converted - could it be done?

http://gp2x.co.uk/

Or has anyone had any thoughts about the one laptop per child machine
due out real soon now? No hassles about running out of juice to pull the
cord or wind the handle or whatever.

The sorts of thing I am thinking about for use are GIS coupled with
second hand old GPS kit for developing countries, or first world
environmental organisations on a shoestring budget or no budget at all,
or hard up state school down to primary school level, where capitation
funding is pretty tight indeed and they waste so much money on
overspecced PCs and microshaft conware...

Or is the world going to be flooded with last generation or grandparent
generation laptops which combined with a wind up power generator will
mean that full size portables can be pressed into service and new bought
stuff will be unnecessary?