[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Geoscience World Congress 2008 - 33rd IGC with deadline soon

pmarc paulomarcondes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 10:36:24 PDT 2006

2006/8/22, Markus Neteler <neteler.osgeo at gmail.com>:
> Hi again on this issue,
>
> the problem with IGC is that they want an abstract now for 2008.
> AFAIK some OSGeo members have already been to an IGC
> event, I don't have experience yet.

I've been to one at Rio, in 2000.

It used to be a exhibition fair in the same place and time frame,
could be another possibilty to showcase OSGEO.

> One interesting issue is: all the petroleum industry will be there,
> I heard that they have 8000 (!) participants. See the excursions they
> offer - from Norway to Greenland and Iceland...:
> http://www.33igc.org/coco/excursions/default.aspx

8k people is a likely number =] - that's a lot of people.

Also, lots of hi-profile research there, and many interesting projects.

> In any case: a motivation for OSGeo presence is fundraising there :-)

Also, it could be a good place to show them the figures and evangelize a bit ...
The geodata issue should be raised there - lots of money going around
to help free some data...

The IGC could be a good place to showcase some stuff, see here: (On
Programme > Publication Avenues)

"The Commission for the Geological Map of the World (CGMW) has
requested production of a 1:10 M Tectonic Map of the Arctic, and an
accompanying booklet. This map will be coordinated with the 1:5 M maps
of the Arctic (Geology, Mineral Resources, Magnetic Gravity, etc.) now
being compiled by the Geological Surveys of the Arctic nations."

    This could be a source of worldwide publicity for our software stack...

Also, we could ask anyone that plans to submit papers to the 33IGC
using FOSS (be it G/ or not) to advertise so in the titles or
abstracts.

Random thought, not very well organised, but well meaning =]
--
Paulo Marcondes = PU1/PU2PIX
-22.915 -42.229 = GG87vc (http://www.amsat.org/cgi-bin/gridconv)