[OSGeo-Discuss] NOT"geographic web" on Google Earth + poached OSGEO logo

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Sat Dec 9 12:53:22 PST 2006

I guess had I opened Google Earth before I had read this, my reaction
would have been one of surprise at how fairly lame and useless it is
to toss up a bunch of seemingly undifferentiated points and call them
a geographic web.

Then I might have picked up on the Panoramio logo issue and would
have thought it to be at best an unfortunate choice. I have been
through some logo designs myself and know how hard it is to not bump
into someone else's ideas yet keep some kind of an evocative theme.

I think Google Earth's stance is pretty clear. They care first and
foremost about getting their product out there and tend to show they
have a very introverted or at least self-centered corporate culture.
There may well be legions of GE marketing types who know nothing
about either open standards or open source. I see this as a result of
GE's genesis in the "black" world of

The sad fact is that 99% of GE users will look at this and think it's
revolutionary. But we know better. It's Red Dot Fever (thanks to
Schuyler for that term!)

Vote with your mouse. Turn the layer off.

	Allan

--
Allan Doyle
+1.781.433.2695