new: geographic web" NOT on Google Earth & NOT poached OSGEO logo

Mike Liebhold mnl at well.com
Sun Dec 10 09:25:13 PST 2006

I recieved a very prompt response from both Google Earth and OSGEO
excusing the Logo similarity as purely coincidental.

In my original note, I hesitated mentioning the logo issue at all, as
distracting from the  main issues re: a   "geographic web"  ( and it is
a convneient distraction for google.  so far almost all of the repsonses
have dealt  only with the logo and not the more substantive issues. )
but I was quite startled when I first saw a very familiar logo  all over
google earth. I do realize the motif is somewhat common,The charitable
thing to say is that the choice and simlarity are accidental,  but if
you think about it, very embarrassing  for not google or panoramio not
noticing OSGEO's prior use of a very similar mark.

Given the coincidental simultaneous appearance of the faux  "geographic
web" on google earth, using these compass star icons all over the map,
it was too tempting to be a bit more cynical.

In any case I suggest we put the compass star behind us and consider how
we can all work together to build a true 'geographic web' e.g.

/If google earth actually supported standards, starting with html and
georss, wfs/wms/gml I guess they could claim a "geographic web". /

Mike