[OSGeo-Discuss] Enterprise OSDB for OSGIS

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Dec 10 20:02:35 PST 2006

Greetings,

Why would you not want to build on all the work that has already been
done with postGIS? I confess I have not read all the comparisons that
you posted, but I will when I have a chance.

postGIS provides good spatial support for postgreSQL
postGIS is integrated with mapserver, and a long list of other OSGEO
related projects.
There is currently a design discussion on postGIS to to add raster support.
postGIS has an active community of developers and users.
I'm sure the postGIS team would value additional support from staff to
grow and enhance postGIS.

While these other databases may very well be excellent packages, this
seems to be counter to the trend of trying to get more people to focus
on less projects to make those projects move faster and be better. I
would think that there should be pretty compelling reason to go in
another direction rather than push an existing solution forward.

Do you have a list of features that you feel are needed?
How does that list compare to postGIS/postgreSQL?
Is there any reason that the features not available could not be added
to postGIS/postgreSQL to achieve your requirements?

I'm sure you have done much more research into this than you have
presented in your post below and I think it would help me and others to
understand and to be able to discuss what the requirements and features are.

Best regards,
   -Stephen Woodbridge