[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [Geowanking] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Input regarding Axis Order Confusion

Markus Müller mueller at lat-lon.de
Sun Dec 17 22:53:17 PST 2006

Hi Paul,

Paul Ramsey schrieb:
> Allan Doyle wrote:
>
>> There could always be a community (can you say "mass market"?)
>> profile that takes 1.1.1 and lays the good parts of 1.3 on top.
>
> I'd be interested in forking WMS to add support for
> DescribeFeatureType to it, so that arbitrary external styling was
> possible. (My favourite ranting point.)  Also, selection.  10 years
> later and we might achieve functional parity with ArcXML.
Are you proposing to extend WMS 1.1.1 or 1.3? In both cases I think it
is not necessary.
SLD 1.0.0 defines the DescribeLayer operation for WMS 1.1.1 that allows
you to find out which WFS (or WCS) serves the actual feature data. This
WFS can then be queried with DescribeFeatureType.
SLD spec 1.1.0 will shortly become official, bringing back SLD
functionality to WMS - including DescribeLayer.

regards

Markus

> Also to extend the "geodetic exception for axis order" in WMS 1.1.1 to
> cover all geodetic systems, not just 4326.  (Which is practically what
> folks do anyways, it's just not explicit in the document.)
>
> P.

Dr. Markus Müller
l a t / l o n  GmbH (Hamburg)
Gluckstr. 53a			22081 Hamburg, Germany
phone ++49 +177 2470742		fax ++49 +228 18496-29
http://www.lat-lon.de		http://www.deegree.org