Individual vs. corporate belonging

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Fri Feb 17 07:15:07 PST 2006

We currently define "member" as an "individual", not a "company" or other group.  Once the board and 45-membership is fully constituted, I would like to consider the following (hypothetical!) situation:

Let us imagine LizardTech has paid my way to go to the Chicago meeting, given me the time to follow this mailing list, to lurk on #osgeo, and indeed let us say even donated $X directly to the foundation to promote open source efforts.
Let us then imagine that LizardTech and I part ways for one reason or another.

This leaves LizardTech without a membership representative looking after their "investment" into OSGeo.  If our ultimate membership-nomination-and-acceptance process is even moderately onerous, should LizardTech in this case be given some sort of waiver to fast-track a new person into the foundation?

(Contrariwise, note that I would still get to be a member, under the guise of my hypothetical new employer.)

Thoughts?

-mpg