[OSGeo-Discuss] Individual vs. corporate belonging

Gary Lang gary.lang at autodesk.com
Fri Feb 17 14:38:36 PST 2006

I think this a reasonable approach.

  _____

From: Michael P. Gerlek [mailto:mpg at lizardtech.com]
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 7:15 AM
To: discuss at mail.osgeo.org
Subject: [OSGeo-Discuss] Individual vs. corporate belonging

We currently define "member" as an "individual", not a "company" or
other group.  Once the board and 45-membership is fully constituted, I
would like to consider the following (hypothetical!) situation:

Let us imagine LizardTech has paid my way to go to the Chicago meeting,
given me the time to follow this mailing list, to lurk on #osgeo, and
indeed let us say even donated $X directly to the foundation to promote
open source efforts.
Let us then imagine that LizardTech and I part ways for one reason or
another.

This leaves LizardTech without a membership representative looking after
their "investment" into OSGeo.  If our ultimate
membership-nomination-and-acceptance process is even moderately onerous,
should LizardTech in this case be given some sort of waiver to
fast-track a new person into the foundation?

(Contrariwise, note that I would still get to be a member, under the
guise of my hypothetical new employer.)

Thoughts?

-mpg