[OSGeo-Discuss] Jobs list?

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Tue Feb 21 11:30:29 PST 2006

Jason Birch wrote:
> I like this idea as well, but in my organisation funds are only made
> available on a year-to-year basis, and they disappear if they have not
> been used by the end of the fiscal.  We would not have an ability to
> commit funds to something that does not have a completion date within
> the current fiscal year.
>
> Possibly this could be worked around by allowing each "pledger" to
> specify expiry dates for commencement and expected completion that the
> implementer would commit to meeting if they wanted to use that
> "pledger"'s funds?
Actually I think these things work best when there _is_ a date that
needs to be met.  With the postgresql stuff it was to get it in time for
8.1 I think.  In other cases it could be because a big funder has a
deadline like that.  But even in cases where there's no obvious reason,
it could make sense to have a deadline, just so organizations know that
now is the time to contribute, instead of waiting.  Individual expiry
dates could also work.  I would love to see software that enables these
kinds of workflows, almost an extension of a bug/issue tracker - a
funding tracker of some sort.  Maybe we should start an open source
project :)

Chris