[OSGeo-Discuss] Abstract, please look at.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 22 09:17:32 PST 2006

Chris Holmes wrote:
> Eventually I think I would really like to see an 'academic' committee,
> focused more on getting academics and indeed students to use and
> contribute to open source.  I see this as different from the core
> curriculum stuff, which I also think is vitally important.  But whereas
> that's focused on using the OS tools to teach, this would be more
> oriented towards getting those working in academia involved in the whole
> open source process.  The most obvious is academics doing bleeding edge
> work, get them to not only use OS packages, but lay out the mechanisms
> for them to roll back their changes in.  Lots of code just gets thrown
> away, and some of it can be very useful in the OS world.  The other is
> to encourage 'students' to see themselves as potential contributors.
> Many see their work as not 'real' until they get in to a paying job,
> when in reality they do some of the best work.  Ideally we could capture
> some of that energy for open source.

Chris,

I completely agree!  I think Prof. Ari Jolma was asking about ways of
better connecting university research work and open source projects
a number of months ago on one of the mailing lists.  Basically, how to
setup research projects with open source in a way that the research work
gets disseminated and put to "real world" use if it goes reasonably well.

/me seaches through over 100 threads in his in-box that mention Ari Jolma.

Aha, here it is:

   http://intevation.de/pipermail/freegis-list/2005-August/002463.html

Best regards,