[OSGeo-Discuss] Abstract, please look at.

Delfos, Jacob jacob.delfos at maunsell.com
Wed Feb 22 16:25:42 PST 2006

Hi All,

I think there would be a significant benefit to having some framework
for academic initiatives, which would provide things like:

- Universities being able to advertise research programs in order to
fill in research positions
- Students being able to advertise research proposals (candidacies) to
find a university willing to take on their research
- Students / universities being able to gain financial support for
research initiatives from organisations that could benefit from the
research
- University Professors / Doctors offering their service as
supervisor/co-supervisor

I think this would help significantly in making academic efforts
contribute to OS development. I also noticed that good research is
currently being picked up by major industry bodies, in order to
disappear behind large price tags. I've just started a PhD (which will
be based heavily on OS, including Mapserver), and would much prefer my
research being able to contribute to OS, rather than becoming someone
else's property to sell.

Regards,

Jacob