Workshop: Mobile Geospatial Augmented Reality

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 27 19:51:43 PST 2006

As some of you know, I'm a big fan of augmented reality [1] and have been for
years.  I see as the needed technology to bring geospatial data into the real
world instead of always trying to put the real world onto a flat map/screen.
Below is part of the announcement of a workshop coming up in May, and it
isn't too far from home (for me!).  Thought some of you might find it
interesting too.

I was primarily inspired by the work of Wayne Piekarski [3], be sure to see
his videos for playing Quake [4] on campus.  He'll be at the workshop with
his 'unit' for people to try out :)

[1] http://images.google.com/images?q=augmented%20reality
[2] http://regard.crg.ulaval.ca/
[3] http://tinmith.net/
[4] http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/projects/ARQuake/www/

-----

FIRST INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON
MOBILE GEOSPATIAL AUGMENTED REALITY
Centre for Research in Geomatics (CRG)
     Call for short papers
May 29-30, 2006
Banff Centre
Banff, Alberta, Canada

     The research team of the REGARD laboratory (a component of the CRG -
Center for Research in Geomatics) is proud to invite you to the first
international workshop on mobile geospatial augmented reality (AR). Initiated
through a grant from the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), the REGARD
laboratory  is the first Canadian research laboratory for mobile geospatial
augmented reality. It provides the research group with innovative
technologies in augmented reality for emerging applications in geomatics. The
research applications implemented on this infrastructure aim to provide users
with geospatial information, in a mobile context, adapted to their needs and
their location. This will greatly help the users to better understand and
interact with their surrounding environment......

For more see: http://regard.crg.ulaval.ca/