[OSGeo-Discuss] Small projects

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Thu Mar 2 15:24:29 PST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Ari Jolma wrote:
>
>> Is there any idea in promoting projects, which develop small,
>> well-defined, interoperable tools? Is my impression correct that the
>> process that's been thought of for projects to join the foundation is a
>> bit heavy and perhaps not suitable for small projects? I believe
>> promoting interoperability is one of the foundations aims.
>

> Ari,
>
> I have been asking myself this question too.  The "Project" infrastructure,
> requiring a PSC, an incubation period, committer agreements, web sub-domain
> and so forth seems pretty heavy.  So, I am doubtful that it would be
> appropriate to handle more modest sized project that way.   I have been
> asking myself a similar question about things like libtiff, libgeotiff,
> PROJ.4, MITAB, AVCE00 and Shapelib.  My conclusion so far is that they
> might be better handled as a sub-project of an existing major project
> (such as GDAL for the above file translators).   I am assuming that a
> sub-project would not need a PSC, but would be subject to the PSC of
> the project it is part of and mostly would just act as a part of that
> project as far as the foundation is concerned.
I've been thinking about this approach as well.  Apache definitely works
that way, with db and jakarta.  And I think would work well for some of
the sub-projects of the more established communities.  It also might
make sense to have a 'front end' project, that groups together mapbender
and mapbuilder, and other lighterweight web clients could also go in to
that group.  Not that they wouldn't each have their own PSC, but such a
grouping might be nice.  Something like quickWMS could live in that
group without a PSC, for example.

> However, even that approach does not really map to your toolset which
> is not really a sub-part of another project.  I'm not sure how to handle
> this.
>
> One approach is to not have it be formally a foundation project.  The
> foundation is primarily useful for providing projects with infrastructure,
> promotion/visibility, a neutral venue for control, and some degree of
> organizational legitimacy.  Infrastructure is available from lots of
> sources (ie. SourceForge).  I don't think a neutral venue for project
> control is all that important for a small project.  Organizational
> legitimacy is not necessarily all that important for a small project
> though the promotion and visibility aspect could be nice.
>
> I do expect the foundation to do some degree of promotion of quality
> projects that are not directly part of the foundation, but that
> build on foundation projects, or interoperate with them well or even
> that just fit in with the foundation philosophy well.  An obvious
> example of this is PostGIS.  It isn't a 'foundation project' but it is
> clearly part of the 'foundation stack' and the foundation can be
> expected to talk about it quite a bit.
I've been thinking about this too.  Call them 'foundational' projects,
vs. foundation projects.  Projects that fit well in to the foundation,
that get some decent promotion, that have foundation members involved,
but that aren't official projects, perhaps they're not quite ready, and
perhaps they have a reason or two not to be.

> I could also see the possibility of forming language oriented interest
> groups within the foundation.  Somewhere that PHP, Perl, Python, Java
> or even c# users might get together and that would help prepare
> packaged binaries with language bindings for many foundation projects.
I like this a lot as well.  Perhaps we could start committees for them?
  At the very least it'd be nice to have an email list where open source
types from each can meet and discuss with one another, maybe work
together.

I really like the idea of the foundation being used for 'planning', for
when people are about to start a new os project, and can figure out
what's out there.  Avoid things like uDig and gvSig starting at the same
time without knowing that one another would be doing extremely similar
stuff.  Maybe that should be split up in language lists, with one
central list where a rep from each language could put someone to talk
about what they're working on...

Chris

--
Chris Holmes