[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGEO logo contest - when?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Mar 9 07:13:59 PST 2006

Lester Caine wrote:

> Post to any list should reply to the list, if you WANT to make a private
> comment it should be a matter of choice ;)

My opinion is the contrary, that forcing the Reply-To: in the headers
actually takes away my choice of replying off-list or via the list.

When walking through hundreds of daily emails from various sources, you
tend to reply quickly and a mistake can happen and a private reply ends
up on a list because of the Reply-To: in the headers. That happened to
me Monday morning when I was not awake enough and sent a private reply
to this list by accident. I have over 10 years experience dealing with
lists, I am not a newbie, but forcing the replies to the list this way
just makes it too easy to make a mistake.

>> This probably applies to all osgeo lists
>>
>> Please change the list behaviour,
>> thanks,
>

> Only if that is what everybody wants?

My vote goes to fixing the lists (i.e. not adding the "Reply-To:" in the
headers).

> I MUCH prefer that all my lists reply to the list, but if you change it,
> then I apologize in advance for sending people messages intended for the
> list. 90% of the lists I use 'get it right' so I tend to forget I have
> to change it for the FEW that do not :)

90%? That's a lot of misconfigured lists.  ;)  ;)

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/