[OSGeo-Discuss] Nominations

Rich Steele Rich.Steele at autodesk.com
Thu Mar 9 10:41:59 PST 2006

Jason Birch wrote:

> It was pointed out to me that while the bylaws permit this, the
current
> call for nominations explicitly limited them to voting members.  I
think
> that this should be reconsidered for the next board elections so that
we
> don't exclude anyone that the voting members think have merit.

Aha.  I see that the email from ChrisH announcing the opening of board
nominations added this line:  "Nomination to a board position is now
open to any **voting member** of the Foundation" (emphasis mine)

This was not in the original wiki posting here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Proposed_Board_Election_Procedure

So I missed this nuance.  My apologies.

FWIW, I agree that board membership should not necessarily be limited to
voting members of the foundation.  I also think that a non-voting member
director would likely be proposed and accepted for voting membership at
a subsequent foundation election (since that person would likely have
demonstrated through board service the requisite commitment to OSGeo).

-Rich