Certification commitee

Helton Uchoa uchoa at geolivre.org.br
Mon Mar 13 07:14:35 PST 2006

Hi,

In the first meeting of OSGeo (in Chicago), I suggested (by IRC) the
creation of certification to OSGeo projects. By IRC some informations
showed the discuss about this issue, but no information was published
after meeting.

I have some ideas to share and a suggestion to create a commitee.

Why is important to create a certification to OSGeo projects?
- The certification is a technical way to define a initial prerequisites
to contract a professional. Sometimes It can't define a good
professional, but It can be a good "indicator" when the certification
process has quality. I have talked about this question with Daniel
Morissette and Arnulf in Brazil (MapServer User Meeting).
- It can be a way to make money to OSGeo (maybe not a big, but one
additional source).
- It will be a way to show a "more corporate" picture of FOSS GIS. So It
will help companies (that works with FOSS) in marketing of its
products/solutions: Open Source X "Well-known marks". One of questions
that the OpenGEO's customers have made in fisrt contact is: "... there
are many professionals to ESRI solutions, but how many professionals can
work with MapServer (or another FOSS) in Brazil?". With certification we
can have a precision answer.

Local concerns: in brazil, the FOSS had grown fast in government
deparments. The federal law to contract services or buy anything defines
that must exist a logical (not abstract) procedure to define a
qualification of companies and professionals to make a technical
service. So, certifications (like LPI, Java, etc) have been widely used
to define the level of qualification. I don't known how this process
works in another places, but I believe that OSGeo Certification is a
demand on Brazil.

[]s

Uchoa

--
Helton UCHOA :: uchoa@{opengeo.com.br;geolivre.org.br;open3dgis.org}
Consultant in Free Software for Geomatics - 55 21 8272-4899