Nomination for Board: Ned Horning

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 13 19:16:57 PST 2006

Ned works in the Center for Biodiversity and Conservation for the American
Museum of Natural History (http://cbc.amnh.org/) as program manager for
remote sensing and GIS. He is an active promoter of open source geospatial
tools in the global conservation community, including the development of
teaching materials using these tools.  He sees the bigger picture from an
end-user perspective and has plenty of ideas for how he would like to see
them come together for the greater good.  I believe more of this perspective
would be valuable to have on the board and help ensure that the overall
direction of the foundation is geared toward productive end use of our
products.  He is active in the conservation domain which has great need for
OSGeo tools.  He is a likable guy and easy to get along with - his vision and
enthusiasm are encouraging.  He is doing some great stuff...

For further background I quote Gary Geller's nomination for Ned from
https://webcommittee.osgeo.org/MembershipNominations.html

"
...Ned is the Remote Sensing and GIS Program Manager for the American Museum
of Natural History’s Center for Biodiversity Conservation (CBC). He has
explicitly included the development and promotion of open source geospatial
software in his work plan to have the necessary institutional support to
continue to support this work as part of his professional duties.
 He has been closely following free and open source geospatial software
development for over 10 years and has actively participated in a number of
projects: Currently funding feature development for OpenEV. Added geospatial
capabilities to NIH Image to support a NASA education project – A Mac
application that has since been superseded by ImageJ.
 Participated in the NASA Image2000 software project that was eventually going
to be released to the open source community although the funding plug got
pulled and the project abruptly stopped. Secured money for QGIS development
starting in the spring of 2006. Teaches week-long remote sensing courses
using only free and open source software.
"