Computers, Storage and Bandwidth courtesy of telascience (San Diego Supercomputer and Viz Center)

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Sat Mar 25 10:07:26 PST 2006

 From Mark Lucas:

I'm excited to announce that osgeo will soon be adding significant
computational, storage, and bandwidth to further the goals of the
foundation.  I'd like to personally thank John Graham, Eric Frost,
and Norman Vine for their help in making this happen.  These
resources will augment our existing support with collabnet and give
us the flexibility to host large data sets, provide reference
implementations, and advanced web based services in support of our
objectives.

for example:
* host large data repositories and support the open geodata initiative
* host osgeo reference implementations and integrated stacks
* compile farms and binary package distribution
* tutorial movies
* quick addition of plone, and other relevant open source
technologies managed by contributors
* rehosting of project resources in a consistent manner
* high performance international demonstrations

Norman Vine will act as lead and coordinator for these resources.
There will obviously be close collaboration with our existing
committees (webcommittee, geodata, visibility).  Norman was key to
the hurricane Katrina ( http://katrina.telascience.org )relief
efforts that were organized on these same resources.  Over the next
several days we will be putting together the initial plan of attack.
I'd ask everyone to coordinate their ideas and efforts through Norman
so that we can proceed in an orderly fashion.

Now it should get interesting....

Mark Lucas
OSGEO Board Member
remotesensing.org and ossim.org

 From John Graham:

We are glad to help such amazing people in support of OSGeo and the
Foundations goals. Allowing open access to the server is no problem.
We find this is critical for rapid response to disaster / emergency
situations.

The system at SDSC is a Sun B1600 blade server with 12 CPU blades. 6
Intel
6 Sparc. Sparc can be Jump started on Solaris 9 or 10 The Intel
blades can
Kick start into RedHat 9 Fedora Core 4 Solaris X86-9or10. I can give
OSGeo
their own blade with NAS and SAN storage. We also have the 2 SGI Prisms.
Calit2/Suse9.3  SDSU/RedHat PP3R4. There is also a very nice Dual
XVR-4000
Sun Fire V880z. We also have Apple Power Mac G5 Dual and Mac mini
Intel Core Duo.

We can also put donated servers online in our racks and support the
occasional dropkick. Might even get some students to help There is
growing
student interest in mapping on campus.

There is a great opportunity to connect with the GeonGRID community
linking
the OSGeo system into the supercomputing storage and web services
assets. http://www.geongrid.org/ I have been promoting the OSGeo
party line in this
community for a couple of years and get a positive response.

We share the same goals.
We know collaborations like this will help people.
We welcome the opportunity
We would love to be your dependable home!

http://osgeo.telascience.org/

John

 From Eric Frost:

John and Frank and Mark,

I very much second John's offers---would be something we would be
honored to help in these ways. John as said your names several
hundred times at demos, describing some of the things you have done---
OSGeo and the Foundation are going profoundly same direction we are.
Love to help make this possible.  John has our full support in
offering up his help and technology and networks we have.

Eric
Co-Director, Viz Center
GEON co-PI