[OSGeo-Discuss] Distribution Special Interest Groups

Alexandre Leroux alexandreleroux at mac.com
Fri Mar 31 07:10:21 PST 2006

Hi Venka,

I don't have that much experience but here's how I see it (please
correct me if if forgot something).

Two main things to do:
(A) Create the .torrent file and host it somewhere
(B) Link to your .torrent in as many places you can

For (A):
(A-1) You can create it yourself and host it yourself as you would
have done for your big CD file. You would be the main seeder of the
torrent but as soon as others starts downloading, you won't share the
burden of bandwidth alone.
(A-2) Have someone else host your .torrent file and act as tracker.
This could be geotorrent.org, but you should contact them directly (I
think they're more data-oriented, but hey, maybe they're open to
other geostuff?).

For (B):
Having something online while nobody knows it is no very efficient.
Link to it on geospatially-oriented sites, that would be my priority
(you could submit a story on slashgeo.org as an example ;-). You
could also look for other more general websites such as:
http://www.legaltorrents.com/
http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Legal_torrent_sites
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent#Legal_uses_for_BitTorrent

Cheers,