LDCM and OSGeo input

Ned Horning nedh at lightlink.com
Mon May 8 08:25:59 PDT 2006

All,

I wanted to see if I could get some feedback regarding a proposal I am
starting to write. I envision the project would have an open source software
development component as well as exploration of open data and public
participation issues related to data collection that would mesh well with
the OSGeo goals. Two objectives are to improve accessibility to Landsat data
as well as involve a broader community in the collection of ancillary data
(primarily photographs) to help users of Landsat data better interpret land
cover from the imagery. The details are still being worked out and probably
aren't important at this point. I'd like to know appropriate ways to
associate this work with OSGeo goals in the proposal. For example, do you
think it would be possible to get a letter of support from OSGeo? Can you
think of other ways association with OSGeo can benefit and benefit from new
projects? This discussion/information might be useful to others who are
thinking about mutual benefits of associating proposed projects with OSGeo.

All the best,

Ned