LDCM and OSGeo input

Lowell.Filak lfilak at medinaco.org
Wed May 17 08:36:14 PDT 2006

Mark Lucas writes:

> Ned and fellow board members,
>
> I'd certainly support this.  I'd suggest we put it out for quick  comment
> on discuss, prepare a letter for the board, put it on the  agenda for the
> next board meeting, discuss and approve.  I've added  it to the agenda for
> this Friday's board meeting.  If there are any  concerns or issues that
> arise from the discuss list or fellow board  members we can discuss and/or
> defer until they are resolved.
>
> Ned, it would expedite things if you could draft the letter for the
> board.
>
> comments?
>
> Mark
>
> On May 16, 2006, at 10:37 PM, Ned Horning wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>>
>> Thanks for the quick reply. The proposal I am working on now needs  to be
>> wrapped up by Monday the 29th so this is somewhat urgent. Assuming  the
>> board
>> considers that our proposed work falls within the category of a "well
>> intentioned effort" would it be best for me to draft a letter of  support
>> so
>> you have something to work with or is there a good wordsmith on the
>> board
>> who could write something without too much trouble?
>>
>> I'll start thinking about a protocol for receiving and processing  this
>> sort
>> of request. Would you prefer that I float initial ideas with the  board
>> or
>> the discuss list?
>>
>> Here is the summary section as it stands now and I'm happy to  provide
>> more
>> details from the proposal if that would be useful. Comments would  also
>> be
>> welcome.
>> --
>> Landsat image data are an invaluable component for conservation  planning
>> and
>> management (REF). With an archive beginning in 1972, the Landsat  program
>> represents the premier Earth observing satellite by providing the
>> longest
>> contiguous dataset of repeat satellite imagery applicable to  analyses of
>> land use/land cover (LULC) and to land use/land cover change  (LULCC) at
>> local (REF), regional (REF) and continental (REF) scales. Despite  the
>> great
>> potential of Landsat image data for use in natural resource  management
>> and
>> conservation planning, broader application of these data and  acceptance
>> of
>> their derived products has been slow within both the biological and
>> conservation community. The general reluctance toward the use of  Landsat
>> image date is partially due to the limited accessibility of affordable
>> analytical tools. However, there are also overarching concerns  regarding
>> the
>> ability to precisely identify features within satellite imagery and
> [...]

All,

 From the "whatever it's worth category".
Our experience here with Landsat derived data was ended due to shear
frustration.
Starting in 2000 we actively tried every avenue we could find (aka. we
bugged every rep that showed up at conferences, emailed any contacts who
appeared to work there...) to contact someone at USGS or etc that could
provide a set of algorithms used to develop the 1996 (yr?) land use/cover
data.
Some of the leads sent us to other people which ended up unanswered.
Maybe I asked the wrong question, maybe I asked the wrong people, whichever,
it would have been nice to know.
I/we would like to see more use of Landsat data also and one thing that
would help is if the people who have already invented the wheel would share
the design. Which is certainly an argument for OS, however I wouldn't want
to see OS getting drug down because all of a sudden OS becomes responsible
for redistributing the blueprints for a wheel that the designer never handed
over.

Lowell