[OSGeo-Discuss] I suggest overview page for osgeo projects and pointers toapplications using osgeo projects.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Oct 1 10:45:52 PDT 2006

Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> hallo,
>
> sorry, if i undertood wrong. there is allready page like this, see
>
>     http://freegis.org
>
> maybe it would be good to ask people from freegis, if they would like to
> participate on project like this. their databasis is allready full.

Jachym,

Freegis.org is definately the authoritative full list of open source
geospatial projects.  I think the original poster, and Jody were looking
for something that puts some of the major components in context - obviously
starting with the OSGeo projects themselves, and the components they
interact with closely.

I personally don't want to see OSGeo trying to duplicate freegis.org.  It
is a great resource, and we should just reference it and support it as
needed.

But it is still hard for people new to the open source geospatial space to
get a sense of maturity and context from seaches on freegis.org.  Hopefully
that is something that OSGeo can offer.  I think starting with something
like Paul Ramsey's survey of open source geospatial packages would be a
good start.

Best regards,