[OSGeo-Discuss] Augmented Reality working group?

ian ian at inpa.gov.br
Tue Oct 10 14:21:36 PDT 2006

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> On 10-Oct-06, at 5:48 AM, Andrew Larcombe wrote on Geowanking list:
>
>> Mike Liebhold wrote:
>>
>> > Also, I'm particularly interested in 'first person',  heads-up,
>> > augmented video views of geodata,
>>
>> Amen to that. One of the key things that is hardly ever addressed in the
>> technical geospatial world is the appropriateness of the simple
>> cartesian representation of space. However, phenomenologists from
>> Heidegger onward argue that this isn't how we actually experience our
>> world. 'first person' views (either synthesised or from video) can help
>> us, along with things like viewsheds etc, to understand spatiality at
>> the level of man.
>
> I'm with both of you!  I am interested in starting a geo-augmented
> reality working group so we can at least kick around some of these
> ideas.  Anyone else interested?
>
> Personally, I would like to see open source geospatial tools be
> implemented in the 'true' 3D sphere - true meaning real world
> coordinates for augmented reality so they can be an important part of
> future solutions.  I think we do have a lot to learn from the 3D gaming
> folks, etc. but I wonder where/how us vs them are reinventing the wheel?
>
> A few articles from my memory...
> http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2300 - I rant a bit
> in the first comment after the article
> http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2038 - a bit on the
> OGC spec for 3D web services (W3DS)
>
> Anyone got any bright ideas for bridging the augment/virtual reality
> groups with our geospatial goodness plus some of our GIS analytics.  I
> would love to chat more... how about a working group?
>
> Tyler

Hi,
I am interested in this too. I have found some good links:
http://www.ajax3d.org/
seems a bit windows/marketing orientated but the push for a X3D standard
is to be applauded. There is also FreeWRL which is an open-source VRML
and X3D browser written primarily for the Linux (Unix) and OS X
platforms. It employs the X3D Scene Access Interface (SAI) for
controlling 3D worlds within a web browser via Javascript.
I am interested in this because Blender http://www.blender.org has the
ability to save to X3D and i am interested in controlling my creations
through a web browser.
I would like to be part of this group
[]'s

--
Ian Lawrence
Centre for Bioinformatics

| Please do not send me documents in a closed
| format.(*.doc,*.xls,*.ppt)
| Use the open alternatives. (*.pdf,*.html,*.txt)

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."