[OSGeo-Discuss] Augmented Reality working group?

Bob Basques bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Oct 10 14:53:04 PDT 2006

All,

Geez, others out there thinking about this stuff too.

We've actually been looking real hard at the PS3 coming out as a purpose
built 3D Viewer.

Using it as a dedicated client to our 3D data stores, which we already
have available for distribution for a CAD client.

It might be a bit difficult to get through Purchasing though (but I'm
willing to try  :c).   It looks to be the hardware to get the Job Done.

We've been experimenting with a couple of 3D viewers (X3D most recently)
already, and have already applied our WMS services to Google Earth.

The 3D aspect is the next big Step in my opinion, and is also what
limits me in other development, as I'm trying to build for a single
system that will be able to handle this type of thing.  The PS3 seems
like the right hardware at the right time so far.   It would be better
to have a smaller package too for use in a wearable computer config.

Just some thoughts on this subject . . . .

bobb

--

****************  You can't be late until you show up.  ***************
************  You never learn anything by doing it right.  ************