[OSGeo-Discuss] C++ library for "gridding"

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz
Mon Oct 16 23:23:20 PDT 2006

hi Rob,
On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 11:14:26PM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Rob Agar wrote:
> >hi,
> >
> >I have some elevation data in the form of a list of sampled points that
> >I would like to convert into a regular grid.  Rather than writing my own
> >code for doing this, I was wondering if there is a C++ library for doing
> >this kind of transformation?  (eg does OGR do this?)
> >
> >The data is comma separated longitude, latitude and elevation.
> >
> >Any advice, pointers, links to tutorials etc much appreciated - I'm new
> >to GIS, and the learning curve is steep!
>
> Rob,
>
> There are several algorithms for this in GRASS I believe.  Search GRASS
> for Kriging and inverse distance interpolators and you should find some
> options.
>
> GDAL/OGR does not include an algorithm for point interpolation, though
> OpenEV does have one (simple inverse distance I think) that I have
> contemplated porting to GDAL/OGR.
>
> Best regards,

as Frank pointed out, GRASS is the tool you are searching for. GRASS
has no direct support for Kriging, but it is possible to provide this
via R package or gstat.

GRASS's modul v.surf.rst is the module, which works for most data the
best. See [1] for details.

Jachym

[1] http://grass.itc.it/grass61/manuals/html61_user/v.surf.rst.html

--