[OSGeo-Discuss] C++ library for "gridding"

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Oct 23 21:39:19 PDT 2006

This will be interesting to follow. First a question, then a couple things
to consider with respect to the GUI.

Will this new API be accessible from the wxPython (wxWidget) GUI platform?

With respect to a GUI, one of the great things about open source is that you
can adapt the code in many ways. However, you might want to also catch up on
the extensive GUI discussions that we¹ve had over the past year. A long
thread beginning about a year ago, and continuing over several months
focused on the design specifications for a next generation GUI for GRASS. A
follow up thread discussed the advantages and disadvantages of available GUI
platforms from the standpoint of interface potential, useability,
cross-platform support, and code maintainability within the GRASS
user/developer community. A couple items are worth summarizing.

First, just because ArcGIS has a very large commercial market share doesn¹t
mean that it has the best UI or that an open source project can¹t create a
better UI for GIS. There was considerable consensus around a number of
features that many of the GRASS community felt were essential in a UI but
which are lacking in ArcGIS (e.g., a CLI, efficient use of screen real
estate with a single control for multiple windows) and more diversity about
other design specs (tightly or loosely coupled 3D visualization and
cartographic capabilities).

The second is that QT and wxWidgets emerged as the leading GUI design
platforms. Of these, wxPython (Python implementation of wxWidgets) garnered
the most support because it is easier to develop in and more members of the
GRASS community have programming skills that can support it. Relatively few
people are QT experts, but many more people in the GRASS world have Python
experience.

Many of the initial GUI design specs have been implemented in the current
TclTk interface in order to test and refine this design. Others will require
a GUI platform with capabilities beyond TclTk. A wxPython GUI is already
present in the CVS in prototype test form and is actively being developed.
You might want to take a look at these to see where they are at and whether
(and how) they might interact with you new libraries.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213