[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo community Maxed out?

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Wed Oct 25 17:05:47 PDT 2006

I think we should prioritize on 5 target
setting a deadline as Feb, 2007 (first
anniversary of OSGeo) to achieve those
targets. My personal priority would be

1) Bring out an illustrative book on
    OSGeo Software reporting examples
    how OSGeo is being used in various
    projects. Focus on OSGeo use in
    local governments would be good.
    Examples from Americas, Europe,
    Asia, South America, Africa etc. would be
    great

2) Bring out one public geo-data set.
    Vmap0 could be a good initial set
    if ESRI copyright issues could be
    sorted out for some of the Vmap0 layers.

3) OSGeo Stack effort. Bring out the
    first OSGeo Software CD by consolidating
    efforts http://telascience.sdsc.edu/tela_data/foss4g/

4) Bring out a short OSGeo newsletter that
    can be translated to various language.
    And  widely circulate it by identifying
    various "Media Partners". Ask local Chapter
    Representative to give short descriptions
    of their activities.

5) Pursue the 501(c)3 status for OSGeo

After prioritize identify people who will
commit their time and energy and bring out
something by the Feb 2007 deadline.

Best Regards

Venka