OSGeo Stack - was: OSGeo community Maxed out?

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen.Ticheler at fao.org
Thu Oct 26 00:13:11 PDT 2006

Hi Frank and others,

On Oct 26, 2006, at 1:05 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> By the way, the OSGeo Stack effort is definately an example of an
> important
> effort that is currently essentially inactive for lack of someone to
> really take ownership.  In other circumstances, I'd be interested in
> taking it on, but I'm feeling stretched very thin already.
>
> I'd also say we don't seem to have quite reached a consensus on what
> we are trying to achieve.  For instance there is still a lot of debate
> about targetting specific linux distribution packaging systems,
> while I
> (for one) think that is a mistake, and we need to take a distribution
> agnostic approach even though I am very supportive of efforts by folks
> like the Debian GIS team.

I am happy to provide the DVD we just released as a starting point
for a structure that allows individual projects to put their releases
in and give a brief introduction and references to it. It does not
have to have a GeoNetwork focus logically, it may have any focus.
Someone may want to generate a disk that puts emphasis on a
particular project and another one to make it more OSGeo centric.
That would be a matter of replacing the index.html file and point to
another css maybe.

We could than generate an OSGeo ISO image once every so many months
(6!?) with a set deadline, so projects can if they want work towards
that. At the same time, the stack is updated on the fly.

Let me know how I can help on this if found useful.
Ciao,
Jeroen