[OSGeo-Discuss] C++ library for "gridding"

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Sat Oct 28 10:30:33 PDT 2006

Paul Ramsey kirjoitti:
> I'll admit to interest, but can't really help. I would like to
> eventually add raster analytics to PostGIS, and hopefully do so
> through library linking rather than actually implementing the features
> in the core PostGIS code.  It would be nice to have a common library
> to work on this stuff in.

Paul and others,

I've been working on libral for a quite many years now. It's been a
side-project and an engine for my Perl front-ends, so it has suffered
from unstability and generally has reflected my learning of some
programming concepts. Lately I've been thinking taking one more general
look at it and produce a stable version. As the first step towards this
goal, I wrote an API:

http://geoinformatics.tkk.fi/twiki/bin/view/Main/PerlGIBookDocs

that should be nice, clean, re-entrant, etc. I'm going to use libral
with GDAL/OGR and GTK+ so there are some links to those libraries but
they could be made optional. Now, this API is not what libral currently
is, but it is not very far from it.

libral works on rasters which are in memory. This causes some
limitations but on the other hand it greatly simplifies its use and
speeds up the code.

Maybe libral could develop into a common library for gridding?

Cheers,

Ari

>>> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_and_PHP